The Crawl Space
Class Zero Scale RC
Class Zero Scale RC
Class Zero General Vehicle Details
• You are encouraged to make your truck as scale as possible.
• Vehicles accessories must resemble 1:1.
• You must run a rail chassis in Class Zero (Rail Chassis example: Bruiser/Mountaineer, SCX-10, Reign RC K2-3S, 3L, 4, 5, MFM, Trail, CR-01, UTE, etc...). No TVP (twin vertical plate) chassis' or frame rail extensions on a TVPs. Tub chassis are allowed, but chassis must be covered by the body and follow all other scale rules per class guidelines. An example of a tub chassis vehicle is CC-01, DF01, Twin Hammers, etc.
• No rear steer or dig.
• No "Motor On Axle" (MOA) of any kind. All motors, transmissions, and other electronics must be chassis or frame mounted. Your axles must be driven by one transmission or transfer case and a minimum of two drive shafts (except CC-01, TA-02, etc) No separate throttle control of drive shafts or axles.
• Wheels larger than 1.9 are not allowed and no short course style wheels with split diameter.
• Wheels must resemble a 1:1 type wheel. Translucent/clear materials, exposed foams or front side stand off construction are not legal
• No bolt on or stick on external axle or knuckle weights of any kind.
• Any functional recovery tools you wish to use during your run, you must carry it on your rig at all times. IE tow strap, pull pal, and sand ladders.
• Winching can only be performed off of natural objects (i.e. trees, rocks, etc...), other vehicles, or Winch Sticks supplied by the course builder. Winching off of a person such as their shoe or hand is not allowed.
• All vehicles must have the motor, transmission, and electronics covered and hidden when viewed from the top and sides. Batteries must be chassis mounted and should be hidden from view.
• Exposed Brass/Bronze parts must be painted for a scale appearance.
• Winches are recommended. Expect to use a winch.
Class Zero Description
A street legal vehicle with off-road capabilities like expedition/Overland/camel trophy style rigs.
Class Zero Requirements
- Must use Chassis mounted servo
- 101mm/4.0" max tire height, must be scale in appearance. ??? 3.85” height?
- Full coverage is encouraged, Half tire coverage minimum, with body or fender coverage.
- No external tire modification is allowed.
- Wheels must be aligned within the center of the body wheel wells within (+/- 1/4 inch total combined)
- Full width bumpers are required on the front and rear of the vehicle, bumpers that are molded into the body qualify.
- Both front and rear bumpers must be as wide as widest part of front windshield.
- A rear bumper is not required on a flatbed, but can be added for additional scale points.
- Tires can not extend beyond the body’s bumpers or the rear of any truck bed. (Any stingers, fairleads, shackles, bolts, etc. are not considered part of a bumper when determining this.)
- open to both hardbody and lexan bodied trucks.
- Body should be mounted in a realistic position in relation to the chassis (like a 1:1 would be).
- Vehicle must have a windshield that fills the entire frame.
- Only mild trimming is allowed, such as removing half of: flairs, trim, & molding. Removing up to a full hardtop is allowed, making half doors. Material behind the rear wheel well cannot be trimmed.
- Grill or front of body cannot be cut to accommodate recessing bumper mounted winches.
- Body height minimum 5” from bottom of skid plate or bottom of body (whichever is lower) to top of roof at the highest point. Roof racks, light bars or other roof accessories/additions are not included in this measurement. If the roof has been removed from the body, a roll bar must be added at minimum.
- Any removal or bending of material from behind the front wheel well (except trim/molding) is considered a boat side.
- Boat sides, dovetailing, or narrowing of the body is not allowed.
- A vehicle’s stock bumper may be replaced with a chassis mounted bumper.
- An interior is required if the top is removed.
- Vehicle must run a full length rail chassis (The rail chassis must be as long as the vehicles wheelbase)(Tamiya CC-01 chassis are allowed).
- Truggies are not allowed, flatbeds with full length rail chassis are allowed. The bed must be as wide as the cab up to the end of the flatbed, no dovetailing is allowed. Cab only not allowed.
- Chassis must have metal frame rails with a Maximum Vertical Rise of 2" and NO "Sporty Lean". Must be a single rail per side, however adjustable length chassis (like the Ascender, SCX10.3) are Class Zero legal. All chassis must have a skid plate that is parallel to the rockers. If present, shock hoops must be bolted, brazed or welded to chassis. Shock hoops can not be part of the chassis rails.
Scale Points (Max -80 points total.)
Scale points are to be awarded at 50% of a vehicle’s total value (rounded down if necessary)
Full Tire Coverage. All 4 tires (by either the body or added fender flares.) -8
Tire size: 3.85” or under tall tires -3
Cab -6 must have flatbed, utility bed or some type of bed to be legal for the class.
Custom Built Hard Body (Points are awarded in addition to hard body points).
Must have 3-dimensional body panels that cover the chassis (not flat panels that bolt in between visible tube work). Must resemble a known 1:1 body and must be hand formed and fabricated from metal or other rigid material. 3D printing and molding are not considered custom bodies.
Full -4. Cab -2
Drop bed -3
To obtain drop bed points the bed floor must be a minimum 1.25” in depth measured from the floor to the top rail of the bed. Extensions or bed rail caps are not to be included in this measurement. The bed floor most be continuous across from the front two corners to the back to corners and may only include fender wells and cut outs for shock towers to disrupt the continuous plane of the floor.
Inner Fenders (front OR back/can do both) Inner fenders must fill area between the chassis and body. -1 per pair.
Metal -3. Plastic -1
Headache Rack or Roll Bar
Metal -2. Plastic -1
Interior or Exo Cage
- Cage must be a rigid material of at least 1/8” diameter that is permanently brazed, welded, soldered or mechanically fastened together, to create a single unit.
- Per row of seats or area where seats would be.
- Cage must have down bars and cross bars in front and behind each row.
- Cage must be affixed to a rigid floor board, fender well, slider, bumper or structural part of the chassis.
- A vehicle interior is required to receive cage points
- Metal -4, Plastic -2
- Must mimic the body pillars and be hard mounted to the body with fasteners at the lower window-line or below.
Metal -4. Plastic -2
Full body cageMetal -8. Plastic-4
- Only applies to pick-up truck style bodies.
- May be be tallied with Cab only cages
- Metal -4. Plastic -2
Tube / Plate Accessories
- Must be made from a rigid material - tube must be ⅛” diameter or more.
- Flat plate may be any thickness with a minimum of ½”
- Must be mounted on both sides and within 1/2" of each wheel well, or to the back of the cab on trucks.
- Must be mechanically fastened, welded, or brazed to the chassis OR Hard body.
- Standard, pair. metal -3. plastic -1. Rails with steps, pair. metal -4. Plastic -2
Bumpers. Must be chassis mounted and separate from the body to receive points.
Metal -3. Plastic -1
Stinger / Grill Guard (Points award in addition to bumper points) -1 (Max)
Fabricated 3D Shock Mounts Must be made of metal and brazed or welded to the chassis. Metal -1 per pair
Roof Rack Must have a minimum 1/4”
Full roof. Metal -3 Plastic -3
Half size (Must be at least half the roof total area.) Metal -4 Plastic -2
Small size. Metal -2 Plastic -1
Light bar Must be mounted above windshield or on top of the roof/roll bar/exo cage or roof rack. Minimum width, 3.5" -1.
- A full interior must include all of these 3D pieces: seat, dash, steering wheel and complete floor.
- Interior must be a minimum of 2” from the bottom of the window-line to the floor, enough for a scale figure from the knees up.
- An additional -2 points for a handmade/custom interior Absolutely NO cutting and re-gluing of pre-molded lexan/styrene interiors to gain additional custom points.
- 1 Seat -3. 2 Seat/full bench -4. 4 Seats in two rows -5.
- Must be dimensional and scale in appearance.
- Must extent from the bottom of the window-line to the interior floor.
- Not counted if an interior cover is used.
- -1 for each card.
- A Driver will receive an additional -1 and no points for passengers.
- 1 Seat -1. 2 Seat -2. 4 Seat -3.
SUV Cargo Area -1.
To obtain Cargo Area points the floor must be a minimum 1.25” in depth measured from the floor to the bottom of the rear window of the SUV. The cargo area must be continuous from the back seat area to the tailgate and may only include fender wells and cut outs for shock towers to disrupt the continuous plane of the floor.
Interior Lighting & Accessories
Dome light -2
Lighted dash board -3 max
Moving steering wheel -2
- Figures must be human, scale sized adult figures. A complete figure must be a minimum of 5 1/2" tall, and all partial figures shall be of similar scale to a complete figure.
- Full Figure -4. Knees up -3. Torso -2. Head/ Arms -1
- Figures must be human, scale sized. Adult figures 5 1/2” tall. Child figure 3.5” tall.
- Adult -3, each. Child -1, each
- Scale animal -1, each. Max 3
- Must Support vehicles weight without external shock springs.
1 Axle -3. 2 Axle -7.
- 1 axle -3
Chassis mounted steering servo. -5
Functioning Transfer Case. -4
- Must be chassis mounted, and have it's own gears that split the power between the front and rear axles.
- T-case points must include these 3 items: a motor, a geared transmission and a transfer case
- Must be in a reasonable location and appear to be powering the drivetrain of the vehicle.
Molded lexan engine bay cover. -1
3D motor top (Must include: air filter/intake, valve cover(s) -2
3D sides/headers -1 each side
3D oil pan -1.
Additional 3D engine parts attached to block(distributor cap, fan, belts, etc.) -1 each. (-5 max).
Additional engine bay parts. Mounted in proper place (master cylinder, battery, radiator, etc) -1 each. (-5 max)
Exterior Lighting. All light must light to receive points.
Headlights and taillights -2 total for both front and rear pairs together.
A pillar pod style lights -2 per pair.
Rock lights -1 per pair.
Safari style lights (Exterior pods) -1 per pair.
Turn signal lights -1 per pair.
Non-Functional Scale Items (-1 Each - Maximum of -8)
- Items that are non-functional but you would see on a trail truck: Fuel cell, exhaust, jerry can, hubs on all wheels, steering stabilizer (separate from drag link), disc/drum brakes on all wheels, mirrors(2), wipers(2), antenna, license plate, first aid, extinguisher, trail tools, Hi-lift jack, etc.
Functional Scale Items (-1 Each - Maximum of -10)
- -1 Each (*unless otherwise noted)
- Functional Items found on a trail vehicle: Tow strap, -D-ring, Pull Pal, sand ladder, hitch, opening doors and hood, spare tire mount, etc.
Hidden chassis mounted -2
Bumper mounted -4
- Must remain a functional item (mounted to a rim)
- Must be within 1/4" width & height of the drive tires.
Roof Top Tent
Functional roof top tent -5
Faux roof top tent-2
Woodsman/overland style trailer empty/unloaded -8
Trailer minimum dimensions 6” wide, 8” long, 5” height (from bottom of tire to top rails) to receive points.
CLASS ZERO COURSE CONSTRUCTION GUIDELINES
Terrain and obstacles should be scale appropriate. Event organizers are encouraged to consult with participants for the feel and length of the courses.
Course gates should be a minimum of 11” in width.
Minimum 3 courses for the class.
Minimum 10 gates per course with at least 2 bonus gates.
Bonus gates should be set up in more difficult terrain or as such to take more time than any of the standard course gates, also know as “time killer gates”.
Minimum 8 minute time limit for each course.
Dashed boundary lines count as a +10 penalty with no reposition back to the last gate progressed. Once a dashed boundary line is hit it will be deemed “dead” for the rest of the drivers run on that course.
Solid boundary lines count as a +10 penalty with reposition back to the last gate progressed.
Vehicle Reposition: In the event of a vehicle needing to be re-positioned the front or rear axle will be put in line with the last gate cleared (at the judges discretion).
Winch Sticks should be supplied by the course builder. Be a minimum of 48” in length made of strong rigid material such as 3/4” wood dowel with eyelets/hooks at one end measuring no more that 6” from the closest end of the winch stick.
Progress: -2 points
Reverse: +1 point
Gate Marker: +10 points
Rollover: +5 points
Boundary Marker: +10 points
Vehicle Touch (Repair & Repositions): +10 points
Course Direction: +10 points
Self Recovery: +3 points
Point out: +80 points
Did not finish: Point out +20 points
Did not start: Point out+50 points